Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Update


Just a quick update...

I haven 't been blogging much lately as we've been battling a nasty illness for the past few weeks. It feels like we have been sick all winter. Not sure what we have exactly, but it has been lingering on for quite some time. We've spent a lot of time at the doctor's office lately. Both kids have been on antibiotics, and Craig is on his 2nd round of them since he is not improving much. The kids seem to be better since taking the antibiotics, and their check-ups yesterday were good. Craig is still pretty sick, though, and doesn't seem to be getting much better. He coughs and coughs at night, and it just sounds horrible! It is some sort of sinus/chest/throat/ear thing...yep..that about covers it. Ha! I am also sick with the same sort of thing, but unlike the others, I have not had the fever or horrible coughing that goes with it. Thankfully, I seem to have the mildest case out of everyone and haven't even had to see the doctor yet.

I am just so thankful for our pediatrician here. I doubt there are many doctors out there who are as dedicated as he is. Just have to tell this story about him...
The other week Craig had to go to the walk-in because he was feeling horrendous and had a fever also. While he was gone, Elianna suddenly spiked a high fever and was miserable, so we decided it would be best to bring her to the walk-in also. It was crazy because when Craig got home, the walk-in clinic was closing in 20 minutes, so I quickly got her in the vehicle and got there with 10 minutes to spare. I knew it was a bit of a toss-up as to whether or not she would get in to see a Dr since they were closing in 10 minutes, but we decided to go anyway. We got there, and the receptionist said that there were too many patients left to see, so they wouldn't be able to fit her in that night. Completely understandable. I don't ever get upset over these types of things because doctor's have families to get home to, too.  Anyway, I went out to the boot room of the clinic and called Craig to let him know they were too full. When I got off the phone, the receptionist opened the door and told me to come in, that a doctor would see her. I go back inside, and there's our own pediatrician in the hall telling us to come in. Turns out that he was also working at the walk-in that night and he must have overheard me at the front desk asking if Elianna could see a doctor. Craig had seen a different doctor, so I didn't even know he was working that night until the receptionist let me back in the clinic. Even though there was no one else left in the clinic at that point except for the cleaning person, our pediatrician spent about 20 minutes with us, did a thorough exam and took the time to explain everything to the resident doctor (including her neutropenia history, bone marrow tests, etc.) That resident doctor is extremely fortunate to be learning from our pediatrician! He is professional yet friendly, decisive while never making you feel bad for asking questions, smart, thorough, and caring. And it is not that we get special treatment...I know of many people who have taken their kids to see him, and he goes above and beyond for all his patients.

Later on that week, Elianna was having an awful time taking her antibiotics, and we had tried every trick in the book for getting her to take it and hiding it in things. The 2nd night she threw it all up (after gagging), so I had to call him. He called me to discuss it, and then the next day, he called me again just to see how she was doing.

Anyway, I hadn't planned on writing all that about our pediatrician experience, but it just turned out that way :-)

Our church banquet is coming up soon, and Elianna is dressing up as a sheep and singing Away in a Manger with the 3-5 year olds. I'm supposed to be helping with the songs, so hopefully we will all be well enough to go!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...