Thursday, January 28, 2010

My Testimony

*Updated February 2013*

Praise the Lord! I am a sinner saved by grace through faith!

My desire in writing this is to boast only in the LORD and not in myself.

I am so thankful to have been raised in a Christian home. My parents were NOT the type to just simply take us to church on Sunday but live our life how we please the rest of the week. My parents spoke about Christ often and lived out their Christian faith daily in my life. I placed my faith in Jesus at a very young age - I think I was about 5 years old. I don't remember exactly how old I was, but I distinctly remember the event. My Mom had shared with me the gospel, and I remember that I understood that I was a sinner, Jesus died for me, and that I needed Jesus to forgive me and place my faith in Him so that I could be saved. I remember kneeling beside my parents' bed in their room with my Mom and praying to receive Jesus into my life. Even though I was quite young, I am confident that I was saved at that moment because after that, I had a real passion to tell my unsaved friends about Christ. Even when I was 6 or 7 years old, I remember sharing the gospel with our unsaved neighbour friends and telling them that they needed to be saved.

I went to public school, and although it was not always easy, I tried my best to be a light shining in what was often a dark place. I was very blessed to have some Christian teachers and also some Christians friends in my class.  I remember, however, my grade 7 teacher in particular was very antagonistic toward Christianity. One time he told the class how the Bible didn't make sense and then went to misquote a scripture. I remember trying to correct him about the scripture and telling him what the Bible really said. There were many times where I would leave the class or stay home from school while the class watched certain movies or had Halloween parties, etc. There were some other Christian classmates who would also skip these types of things.

I have definitely had seasons of my life  growing up (and now as an adult) when I have wrestled with wholly trusting the Lord in all things.

I struggled a lot with depression and anger in grade 7, but one night when I was at a breaking point, I called out to God, and the Holy Spirit led me to turn to a certain page in my Bible. I had 2 Bibles in my room, but the Holy Spirit led me to turn to a certain page in my kids' Bible. On that page was a little bubble that read, "Down in the dumps?" and then explained how when we are feeling low, we need to remember the good things God has done for us in the past and the good things He will do in the future. There I read Psalm 40 and was greatly comforted. That was a HUGE moment in my Christian walk.

Grade 7 - 9 were fairly difficult years, struggling to live out my Christian faith in the midst of going to a public school and having a few Christian friends but often feeling very alone. I never got into the partying scene, and I did not question my faith in the Lord, but I really struggled with desiring worldly acceptance and becoming prideful about worldly accomplishments instead of only concerning myself about what is pleasing to the Lord.  The summer after grade 9 at Bible Camp, however, the Lord really taught me how to fully depend on Him and trust Him. I no longer needed boys to like me, I didn't need to be the prettiest girl in the class, the best athlete, or have the best marks. Those things were all fleeting and vain. They built up pride in my heart, which was sinful. The Lord showed me that all I need to do is follow Him no matter what the cost. That was a season of enormous growth for in my Christian faith. I was baptized that summer and also met my husband that summer.

In High School, I had some very good Christian friends, who were strong in their faith. I spent 3 summers working at a Bible camp and also took a short term missions trip to work with the homeless. I am very thankful for those Christian friends I had in high school and for the Lord stretching me while working at camp in the summer.

I met my husband when I was only 16 years old working at Bible Camp. I basically knew right away he was the one I would marry. I got engaged while still in grade 12 and was married the summer I graduated from high school. Then I moved away from home to live with my husband while he attended university. I also attended university for 2 years in hopes of becoming a school teacher (more about that journey some other time :-) ).

About 3 years after we were married (and I was in my 2nd year of university), the Lord really starting working in our hearts to open our eyes to more things that we needed to repent from. I was shocked and appalled by the things I was seeing and being taught at university. Sin was so rampant there and paraded around. Christianity was mocked. Yet in our own life, we had many things we ourselves needed to repent of. One Fall Sunday after church, we both looked at each other and realized there was much worldliness that had crept into our own lives. God showed us that we should not compare ourselves to others, but that the Word of God is to be our standard in all things...including music, tv, and entertainment choices. We started trying to make every single decision based on what would be glorifying to God. Through some amazing circumstances, the LORD led us to a wonderful group of believers who were really committed to the Word of God. We both grew a lot in our faith through the guidance of the people attending there, but due to my husband's work, we had to move away. That spring, we also made the decision that I was not going to continue my university education.

There are many more things I could share about how God has worked in my life, but it would be pages and pages and pages to tell it all. I do not mean that I am perfect or that there is any good in me.  I only mean that the Lord is faithful and HE is good! He will accomplish His purposes. When I start to stray from His ways, the Lord disciplines me and helps me get back on track. God is so faithful and good! I pray that you know Him, too. If not, please click here to read how you can be saved. The Holy Spirit continues to work in my life, convicting me of sin, molding me, and shaping me into the likeness of the Lord Jesus Christ, and I am constantly reminded that I am only a "sinner saved by grace through faith." Even though I still sin, the power of sin has been broken in my life. And when I do sin, how thankful I am that I have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous (1 John 2:1), in Whom I have placed my trust. Through His atoning work on the cross and His shed blood, He paid the penalty for my sin. By placing my faith in Christ alone, my sins are forgiven, I am saved from God's wrath, and I will live with Him eternally.

To God be the Glory - Words by Fanny Crosby
To God be the glory, great things He has done;
So loved He the world that He gave us His Son,
Who yielded His life an atonement for sin,
And opened the life gate that all may go in.
(Refrain)
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the earth hear His voice!
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord,
Let the people rejoice!
O come to the Father, through Jesus the Son,
And give Him the glory, great things He has done.
O perfect redemption, the purchase of blood,
To every believer the promise of God;
The vilest offender who truly believes,
That moment from Jesus a pardon receives.
(Refrain)
Great things He has taught us, great things He has done,
And great our rejoicing through Jesus the Son;
But purer, and higher, and greater will be
Our wonder, our transport, when Jesus we see.
(Refrain)

3 comments:

Jen said...

What a blessing it has been to read the testimonies today. Have a great day.

hallee@halleethehomemaker.com said...

This is such a wonderful testimony. My daughter is in 7th grade and has had a few run-ins with a teacher who is a Darwinist secular humanist. I love that she is educated enough in the Word to debate him. Good for you for standing up!

Jenifer Harrod said...

Enjoyed reading your testimony here. You have a way with words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...