Tuesday, January 26, 2010

From the Couch to 5 Km (I Hope!)

There is something about having kids that just makes a person think about life differently.
After having our daughter, I've suddenly found myself becoming much more concerned about things like healthy eating, preventing heart disease, preventing diabetes, preventing osteoporosis, (oh, and losing that baby weight).

But really, all kidding aside, I am making an honest attempt to start exercising regularly again. Preventing heart disease, diabetes, etc. is definitely part of the why I need to get moving, but I could *ahem* stand to lose a few pounds, too.

Back in high school, I was fairly fit and trim. Basketball, volleyball, and track and field kept me moving, and playing sports was actually fun. But after I finished high school, got married, and moved, I just couldn't seem to get myself to go to the gym or join a rec sports team. I tried to go to the gym here and there, but I just couldn't seem to get motivated. I got bored with it so easily. I absolutely hated the elliptical and didn't care much for the stationary bike either. The only thing that could keep half my attention was the treadmill. So, now I have a treadmill at home, and after using it fairly regularly for the past month, I am starting to actually like exercising (Did I just say that out loud?). Well, maybe I don't like it when I'm huffing and puffing and my legs and lungs are burning, but I love the feeling I get after I've done the time and I take my stinky shoes off and sit down to a huge glass of icy cold water.

Anyway, I recently found this plan called the Couch to 5 K plan, which aims to get a couch potato running 5 km in about 2 months time.(And, get this, it only takes about 30 minutes a day 3-4 times a week!) So, I printed it off, and started at Week 2, which I completed last week. This week I'm on Week 3. I really, really hope I will stick with it this time. I would love to be able to run 5 km regularly. So, anyway, I am hoping blogging about this will help me be somewhat "accountable" and I plan on giving weekly updates. I am a bit nervous and not all that confident that I'll actually be able to do it, but I'm going to give it an honest try!

I was not home much Monday or Tuesday, so unfortunately I did not get much exercise time in those days, but today I will be starting Week 3 of the Couch to 5 Km plan.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...