Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Company Meatloaf

No matter how hard I try, I'm just not talented enough to make meatloaf look pretty!

There are a million-and-one ways to make meatloaf. I've tried a few recipes, and this is one of my favourites. I am not a big fan of ground beef if it tastes like ground beef. That probably sounds weird, but I need it seasoned. This is a nicely flavoured meatloaf that even I love because...well...it doesn't taste too much like meat. :-)

Company Meatloaf (easily doubled)

1 egg
1/2 package onion soup mix
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp water
3/4 cups bread crumbs
1 lb ground beef
Cheddar cheese slices

Topping
1/4 cup ketchup
1 1/2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp dried mustard (I substitute prepared mustard if I don't have this on hand)
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Beat egg and stir in soup mix. Add ketchup, water, and bread crumbs to ground beef. Add the soup and egg mixture. Gently mix. Put half into a loaf pan. Put cheese slices on top, then the rest of the ground beef mixture. Cover and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes and then pour off and discard juices. Spread topping on and bake uncovered for another 30 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...