Thursday, August 9, 2012

Green Onion Tip

Saw this online somewhere and thought I'd try it. Pure genius. Am I the only one who didn't know this?

Sure, green onions are cheap at the store and free in your garden, but in the winter this is going to come in really handy. I often want to throw in some green onions into dishes for a little flavour but usually don't have them on hand since they go wilty so quickly.

Here's what you do:

After using your green onions, keep the roots & white parts (with a little green still), stick them in a glass of water in a sunny place and watch them grow. You can snip them any time and they'll just keep coming back. Change the water occasionally. I've had mine going and using it here and there for about a month now! They grow back super quickly, too!



Growing Home

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that mean you only use the green tops of the onions? Here in England we call them "spring onions" and use the whole onion, white part too.

Jenna said...

Interesting. Yes we use the white parts sometimes, too, but a lot of the time I just use the green tips. I'm not sure what other folks around here usually do. :-)

Kara said...

I didn't know this - great idea. Thanks for posting!

Min said...

I will so have to try this. I love green onions but they always go bad before I use them all.

I have known your blog for a long time now and have been wondering when we get to see your kitchen reveal!

Sylvia Phillips said...

Cool! didn't know!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...