Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Trim Healthy Mama


Have you heard of the Trim Healthy Mama (THM) book that is all the rage right now? I heard of it several months ago and didn't think about it too much until just recently. Bloggerland is filled with so many positive reviews, testimonies, and "it changed my life" claims that it's really piqued my interest lately. TONS of people are having success with the program, and now I'm seriously considering jumping on the bandwagon. Here's one review that goes in depth into what the plan is about.

I've never, ever tried any sort of diet "program" in my entire life. Okay....maybe there was this one time I did the pita pocket diet for a week... I have loosely counted calories before (just estimates...no weighing of food or calculations) and had great success with that after Elianna was born, but I've never followed some sort of Atkins, South Beach, etc. type of thing where you pay attention to what types of foods you are eating and when and in what combination. Of course, Trim Healthy Mama is not supposed to be a "diet" but a way of eating for the rest of your life.

I requested the book at the library but am thinking it's going to be awhile until my turn comes for it since it has a few holds on it. After reading all the reviews and joining their facebook page,  I feel like I have an okay grasp of the plan. Don't mix fats and carbs at the same meal. There are certain "S" meals (satisfying) that are more fat-based. There are certain "E" meal (energizing) that are more carb-based. The idea is to balance blood sugar. It looks to me that following the plan loosely would mean that with slight modifications, I can eat almost everything I have been eating, but just not in the same combinations. Oh, and I can have desserts, coffee and chocolate, too. I like that.

There is much more to the book than just an eating plan & recipes; it goes into hormone balancing, skin care, etc., so I think it will be an interesting read.

When I mentioned this to Craig, he was like nooooooooo.....I like the way you cook!  HAHA. Well I can promise you this....if the food tastes like garbage, we won't be sticking with it. I hear we can't have white potatoes on this plan (at least not at first).  I guess by "we" I really mean "I" since mashed potatoes is my hubby's all-time favourite food.  After skimming several recipes, I'm pretty confident I can make most of the recipes suit our tastes without straying too far from the plan. The plan uses stevia instead of sugar for sweetening, and I'm not sure how I feel about that....yet. We'll see. I'll be sure to cook up a big pot of mashed potatoes once in awhile to keep hubby happy. :-). It's pretty likely I will loosely follow the plan if I decide to try it. I'll allow for cheat meals and not worry about eating at other people's houses and things.

Why do I want to try THM? My body has been acting up lately...Without going into too much info, let's just say that I've not been feeling my best on many different levels.

I'm trying to be patient as I wait for my book. In the meantime, I'm having a lot of fun scoping Pinterest for some THM meal ideas and recipes.

3 comments:

A Restful Place said...

I have been hearing great things about this book too and hoping to get a copy of it soon! It seems even loosely following the plan will be good! :)

Anonymous said...

On No! Don't mean to sabotage your plans, but there is nothing wrong with having curves, girls! I think most husbands would agree that they would rather hug a woman with a little substance! And now here is a study that says a happy marriage can make you fat. Maybe that is because you are focusing on caring for each other instead of yourself all of the time like the skinny neurotic self-absorbed women who have a roving eye looking for the next best thing to walk into the room.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/lifestyle/archives/2013/04/20130403-090908.html

"You can add being happily married to the list of fantastic things that make you fat.

The researchers followed 169 young newlywed couples and measured their marital satisfaction and weight gain over a period of four years.

"Satisfaction is positively associated with weight gain," Meltzer said. "Spouses who are more satisfied tend to gain more weight, and spouses who are less satisfied tend to gain less weight."

Previous studies have linked marriage to better health behaviours - like remembering to take medicine and going to the doctor - but this is the first that focuses specifically on weight."

Jenna said...

"Maybe that is because you are focusing on caring for each other instead of yourself all of the time like the skinny neurotic self-absorbed women who have a roving eye looking for the next best thing to walk into the room."

I certainly hope THM doesn't make me a skinny neurotic self-absorbed woman with a roving eye! That would be rather disastrous for everyone
:-D.

Who wouldn't want to have more energy, though?? That's the main reason why I'm giving it a 30 days trial...and because of some other health issues I've been having lately.
Thanks for the laugh, though! Seriously, your comment made me smile.:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...