Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Back Again...Well, Sort Of

We just got home from a little family vacation to the United States. We were gone for about 5 days. It was a fun trip, but honestly, it was a bit more tiring than I had hoped it would be. Turns out that our little one (who just turned ONE!) does not adapt well to change. Bed times were an absolute nightmare. We barely even got to enjoy our jacuzzi tub in our hotel room because she screamed like crazy in the evenings if we weren't holding her and playing with her non-stop. And in a hotel, it's not like you can just let her cry it out a bit (unless, of course, you don't mind angry people banging on your walls telling you to be quiet). Needless to say, we had a few very short nights on our trip. Thus, we decided to cut our holiday early, and head home 2 days early, which meant traveling through the night. Through the mountains. As in, leave final holiday destination around noonish, stop at my grandparents' house (in the mountains) for a 6 hour visit, then leave my grandparents' house at 9 p.m. and arrive home at 6:30 a.m. Travel through the night. Bathroom breaks on the side of the road. Stopped at Timmie's 2 x for caffeine boosts. Yep. Desperate times called for desperate measures. BUT we got to watch the sunrise, which I haven't seen in a very, very, very long time, AND it felt oh-so-good to crash into bed at 6:30 a.m.

Okay, so I just reread what I wrote and realized that I just made it sound like we had an absolutely terrible holiday.

On a positive note, we DID enjoy the DAY times, when little bittles was a happy as a clam to see the sights, ride around in her stroller, and what not. During the day time we did a bit of shopping, took a short hike in the mountains beside a gorgeous lake, drove around, went out to eat, had a great visit with my grandparents, and just tried to relax as much as possible. It was nice to get away for a few days, but ya know, I was also happy to get back home. There really is no place like home! :-) And little bittles is VERY happy to be back in her own bed!

I must confess, part of me still feels like I need "a holiday after our holiday", so I am thinking of "unplugging" for a few more days and getting back to the basics. I was feeling pretty stressed out yesterday. After we got back from our holiday, instead of unpacking and unwinding, we were running around town taking advantage of some great sales for our home renovations. We bought some new baseboards, tons of paint, and new interior doors, so I guess we are now renovating our house! We were so busy that we didn't even have time to unpack from our trip and everything just ended up getting thrown on the floor, tables, and then there were dishes and stuff lying around everywhere. The house seriously looked like it had been hit by a tornado. It was embarrassing. Truly, it was. I did a quick clean up yesterday, but I still have more housekeeping to catch up on. Sooo....I think I'm going to take a few days to recover from our holiday and get back into my normal routine. Maybe I'm weird, but part of me is looking forward to getting back to the daily grind and getting back into a routine again.

I'm VERY excited that during our holiday I was able to pick up some fabric and sewing supplies for a few projects I have in mind for the winter months. I can hardly wait to get started. Hmmm...check that. I can wait. I am NOT ready for the snow to fly quite yet.

Hopefully in a few days I'll get a few pictures up of Little Bittles' birthday party and our trip. But for now...I need to take a few days to recover from our holiday and get things back to normal...whatever that is! :-)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...