Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas in the Hospital

On Christmas Eve, Ellie still had a fever and it looked like she also was starting to get a rash. So, we decided to take her back to the hospital, where the pediatrician on call admitted her for the night.

That was officially the.worst.night.ever.

Well..maybe I should take that back. It wasn't the worst night ever, as in, I was scared that something serious would happen to her. I've had worst nights, emotionally. Physically, however, it definitely takes the cake.

It was the worst night ever in terms of physical exhaustion. Ellie did not sleep at all. She also hadn't slept at all the night before that, which really didn't help. She refused to go to anyone except her Mama, and besides that, she did not want me to sit! If I sat, she screamed and screamed and screamed. So, I stood. All night long. As in, from about 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. I thought my legs and arms were going to fall off. In that time, there was about 30 minutes where I was able to sit down without having her scream. I was in tears holding a screaming, writhing baby for most of the night, praying for the strength to make it to the morning. Finally at about 6 a.m. she crashed for 1 hour with me on the hospital bed. In the morning, my husband came to provide me with some relief. I went home while he stayed with her, and I honestly do not remember even going to bed. That's how tired I was. 2 1/2 hours later, I felt like a new person.

On Christmas day, we got out of the hospital on a pass since her fever seemed to be gone. That was very nice! We were able to spend time with my husband's family and have her home for the night. Another terrible, awful, exhausting night. This time we were up until 4:30 a.m. with a screaming, writhing, baby. Finally, I gave up and thankfully she did too and crashed with me on the couch.

On the 26th we had to go back to the hospital so she could get more blood work done and see the doctor again. Her blood work came back about the same again ( .1 neutrophils) and low CRP (indication of inflammation), so the doctor was fairly confident it is just viral. He put her on some antibiotics (more for the prevention of bacterial infection while she fights the virus) and discharged her. We were able to visit my family for the day and even stayed the night, since Ellie fell asleep and we didn't dare wake her up to bring her home! She actually had a fairly decent night, only waking up for about an hour and a half in the middle of the night.

Now, we are home. I'm still very, very tired. Ellie is starting to cough now and has a runny nose. She also has another tooth poking through. She refuses to eat (she hasn't eaten anything for about 4 full days now), which is hard to watch. I'm still a bit worried about her, but as long as whatever she had doesn't develop into a bacterial infection (such as pneumonia), I think she'll be fine.

I was so tired when we were in the hospital that I didn't even get a picture of her spending Christmas in the hospital. Oh well! Probably something she'd rather not remember, anyway.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...