Tuesday, March 9, 2010

First 5K Run

This is my last week of the Couch to 5K program. Yesterday I completed my first 5K (or more accurately, 3 miles, which technically is slightly less than 5Ks) in 30 minutes. I remember about a month ago I wasn't sure if I would be able to do it or not because I could barely run for 8 minutes straight, but the program really worked for me. I think the key for me was that it only takes 30 minutes three times a week, so I had no excuses of not having enough time. I also liked having a goal to work toward. Now hopefully I can keep it up....LOL. I am going to try running at this pace for the next 2 weeks or so, and then I may try to increase the distance or pace somehow to keep myself challenged. I have been running at a 6 mph pace and then increasing to about 7 mph for the last few minutes. Anyway, I do highly recommend this program for anyone who wants to begin jogging and is totally out of shape and doesn't know where to begin. I definitely had my doubts about it, but it did work for me.

On a personal note...I seemed to have reached a plateau on losing weight. Since I have begun exercising again, I have lost 16 pounds (since the end of December) and weigh 10-15 pounds less than I did before I was pregnant. I still would ideally like to lose another 4-9 pounds by mid May, so I think I will have to change things up a bit to try to overcome this plateau. I may try exercising a little more and see what happens, but I'm going for long term success, so I don't think I realistically can change things too much more. But even small changes toward healthier eating and exercising can make a difference over the course of a year.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...