Monday, March 8, 2010

Menu Plan Monday (March 8)


I didn't do any baking this past week, but on Saturday I tried making homemade onion rings for a little snack when my husband got home from work in the evening. They stunk up the house like crazy, but they tasted pretty good! I also tried making a homemade London Fog drink, which was quite good. This week I plan on doing a bit more baking. I prefer to use butter instead of margarine in most of my cookies. I think it's because cookies made with butter have a better flavour, in my opinion. This next week I want to try a new recipe, White Chocolate Cranberry Squares. I'll have to see if I get around to it or not. I would also really really like to try making Maple Walnut Fudge. I have been craving fudge lately! If they are successes, I will share the recipes sometime.

Recipe Review: Last week's new recipe Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken with Veggies over Rice was really good! I will definitely be making it again. I got it from a church cookbook and modified it just a bit. Here's the recipe:

Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken with Veggies

1 small onion
4 carrots
1 celery stalk
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
1/2 green pepper
3-4 large chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

Cut onions, carrots, celery, and peppers into chunks. Put in casserole dish. Brown cubed chicken in frying pan with oil. Add chicken to veggies in casserole dish. Whisk together remaining ingredients, and pour over chicken and veggies. Cover and bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Serve over rice.
Here's the plan for this week:

Sunday, March 7
Lemon Chicken Rice Soup (from freezer), homemade pizza pockets (from freezer)

Monday, March 8
Visiting family

Tuesday, March 9
Whole Wheat Penne Pasta, tomato sauce, caesar salad

Wednesday, March 10
Chili Lime Chicken Tostadas (new recipe)

Thursday, March 11
Leftovers

Friday, March 12
Pizza Night (Tuscan/spinach pizza & all dressed), caesar salad

Saturday, March 13
Leftover pizza, garden stuffed baked potatoes (recipe below)

Garden Stuffed Baked Potatoes (Modified a bit from the same cookbook-really good!)

4 Potatoes
2 Tbsp butter
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chopped broccoli
1/2 cup ranch or caesar salad dressing (or sour cream)
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 F. Saute onions in butter. Pierce potatoes and microwave on high for 12 minutes. Bake for 15 minutes. Slice off tops. Scoop out pulp and mash pulp in a bowl. Add onions, broccoli, salad dressing, salt, pepper and cheese.Brush outside of potato skins with oil. Spoon pulp mixture back into shells. Place on baking sheet and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes.
*For more great meal ideas, visit Menu Plan Monday, hosted by orgjunkie.com*

1 comment:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Jenna, Wonderful menu. Love the tostada recipe. And come to think of it- I love all the recipes on this post. Very yummy!
Yvonne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...