Saturday, March 5, 2011

52 Weeks of Organizing - Week 9

This past week I tackled another small project - my medicine cabinet. This week wasn't really about organizing one particular space, however. It was more about gathering all the medicine/vitamin stuff from various places in the house and bringing them together into one place. Keep like things together. Basic Organizing 101. It has always irritated me that we had some meds in the kitchen, some in the medicine cabinet, and then some in the linen closet. We also have a toddler who is now able to pull a chair up to the cupboard all by herself and climb onto the cupboard, or table, or into her high chair (without a chair's help!), etc. This has changed things quite a bit and has forced me to rethink the placement of medicines. Our most commonly used vitamins and meds had previously been in the kitchen on a little shelf in a cupboard. But with Ellie able climb up there now, I didn't feel comfortable keeping them there anymore. It was time to find a new, safer, home. Although the medicine cabinet in the bathroom is far from an ideal spot for meds, for now it will work. I am pretty sure this is only a temporary solution, though. Our less commonly used meds are still in a container in the linen closet. (A locked cabinet high up is a better option). We keep the bathroom door closed, and if it was open, it would be pretty much impossible for her to climb up onto the bathroom counter all by herself at this point. Still, I'm thinking that I might, in the near-ish future, put all the meds in a locked container on the top shelf in the linen closet. Some of you might wonder why I don't just do that right now....I am wondering the same thing. I guess it's because I have to re-think my linen closet space first, and then find the right containers. It's on the to-do list. Therefore, no before/after picture of the medicine cabinet. It would be less than astounding. Here's what I did:

Took all the meds from the kitchen into the bathroom and grouped them according to categories. Yes, we have lots of meds. It's been a rough year :-S

Categories in the medicine cabinet:

Stomach
Pain Meds
Anti-inflammatory
Inhalers/Nose sprays/Eye drops
Vitamins (2 shelves)

Categories in the linen closet container:

Cough drops
Cough/Cold/Flu
Heartburn

We also have a separate container for baby meds.

Because we have vitamins we take every day, I decided to have a pill organizer and keep that .on top of the fridge. The kitchen is more convenient for this. Once a week I'll refill the containers with our vitamins.

There you have it. A less-than-ideal solution for meds/vitamins. When I come up with a better solution, I'll let you know.

As I was typing this post, I headed into the bathroom to scope out the situation again, and I have come to the conclusion that the medicine cabinet idea is definitely temporary. It won't work for me. Nope, not good enough. Mostly because I believe it isn't safe enough. Hmmm...I guess this week's project was kind of a fail then? Well, not exactly. At least I have things grouped together now!

If you have a good solution for meds/vitamins storage, please let me know in the comments!

*Linking up to the Organizing Challenge here *

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...