Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Nightstand Makeover

I bought these nightstands last summer at a garage sale for $5 each. I finally got around to painting them this past month. I love finding second hand items and making them over to suit our home. I can't wait for garage sale season to start! ;-)

Before:


After #1 (I painted the knobs white at first.)


After #2: Found some cheap brushed nickel knobs to use instead. I can always go back to the white if I change my mind.






Here's how I did it:

Step 1: Lightly sand nightstands with medium grit sandpaper. Then dust with a cloth.

Step 2: Prime with oil primer/sealer. Let dry. (Tip: Wear cheap disposable rubber gloves and cheap paintbrushes so that you can just toss it out later for an easier clean-up with oil paint.)

Step 3: Very lightly sand nightstands with very find grit sandpaper. Dust again.

Step 4: Apply a 2nd coat of oil primer/sealer. Let dry.

Step 5: Apply a coat of latex paint. (I used cheap paint colour matched to Benjamin Moore Decorator's White.). Let dry.

Step 6: Apply another thin coat of latex paint. Let dry completely before placing anything on it.


*Linking up to Raising Homemakers homemaking link-up*


2 comments:

Mommyto3andahusky said...

what a difference! I love the brushed nickel knobs!! Love it!

Tracey said...

What a great makeover! I love seeing how creative people can be with garage sale finds!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...