Saturday, January 15, 2011

On second thought....

Remember this post?

Pretty sure I'm looking at things the wrong way. Sometimes in my feeble attempts at "doing the right thing", I over-complicate the simplicity of what Christ calls us to, and my sinful pride starts thinking I can somehow earn the grace I've freely received. I get distracted by all the to-do's of life. Wrongly, I sometimes even start thinking I can somehow perfect my own flesh?

Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh? Galatians 3:3

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
John 15:4-5


Without Christ I can do nothing. Nothing.

You would think that after the difficult few months we had, I would have learned this lesson already.
During that time I pretty much had no choice but to abide in Christ. Every day, every moment. I had zero strength to do anything on my own. Lists went out the window. To get through each day, there were no "to do's" to cross off. Sure, there were things that needed to be done, but it was a different feeling, a different focus. My perspective was directed to the eternal rather than the temporal. How could I forget that lesson so quickly?

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matthew 6:33

Master, which is the great commandment in the law?Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.This is the first and great commandment.And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Matthew 22:36-39

What if instead of doing, trying, and accomplishing, I just start abiding? What if instead of being driven by lists, I start being led by the Spirit?
What if instead of focusing on the temporal, I start focusing on the eternal?

How freeing is that?
It's really quite simple. Stop trying. Start abiding.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...