Thursday, January 13, 2011

Small Steps Toward Healthier Living

* For a compilation of articles, books, and resources about healthier, more natural living (covering topics such as nutrition, health, cold remedies, pregnancy, baby care, cleaning, and much more), read Natural Living 101 * This is a great resource! I highly recommend checking it out. I know I will be referring to it frequently for information. *

I have been thinking about moving toward a healthier lifestyle with regard to using less chemicals in the home, eating healthier foods, etc.

So...I bought my first jar of organic coconut oil a few days ago and have already used it in a smoothie, for frying, and on my daughter's skin! Our daughter has a bit of eczema or something going on; we've been using a steroid cream, but the side effects of that stuff are nasty (it lowers her already-low immune system), so I want another solution.

P.S. Read about some of the benefits of coconut oil here. It's one of the healthiest fats; it does not go rancid at high temperatures, it can help boost the immune system, and has even helped wiht some skin conditions such as eczema. If you buy the expeller pressed stuff, it doesn't even taste like coconut, so it's perfect for sauteeing and cooking. It's not overly expensive (my jar was about $10 on sale), and it has a very long shelf life.

Another small success was purchasing whole wheat macaroni to replace our nutrition-less white refined flour macaroni. Yay!

I also started keeping track of how much water I drink each day. I'm aiming for 8 glasses/day.

We also want to get back on track with exercising now that things have settled down a bit here (for now.) While I would much prefer to play sports with my husband (we've talked about joining the badminton club in town here), it just isn't feasible since we have a young daughter. So, my husband has talked about maybe joining soccer (he loves soccer and is an amazing player), while I'll probably get back on my trusty treadmill. I even went downstairs to get on it yesterday, only to find that I couldn't figure out how to unfold the crazy thing! No worries, though; last night my husband showed me how to unfold it, and we're ready to go now!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...