Thursday, January 6, 2011

Roles and Goals for 2011

This is my New Year's Resolution list-of-sorts. It's less of a New Years resolution list and more of an evaluation of the roles I fulfill, what the Bible says about these roles, and the things I will try to do in order to properly fulfill these roles. I know that I will make mistakes and fail at times, but I hope I can refer back to this list to gain some clarity as to what my purpose is and what the Bible says about what my priorities are.

Words of Wisdom for 2011:
Proverbs 4:23-27
Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life.
Put away from you a deceitful mouth, And put perverse lips far from you.
Let your eyes look straight ahead, And your eyelids look right before you.
Ponder the path of your feet, And let all your ways be established.
Do not turn to the right or the left; Remove your foot from evil.


1) I am a...Child of God
Key Passage: Romans 8:1-18
I want to...have a deeper relationship with Christ, walk after the Spirit and not after the flesh, share my faith more, profess godliness, show more compassion toward others

To do this, I will try to...
  • Read my Bible regularly (try to finish the entire Old Testament and hopefully the entire Bible this year)
  • Pray
  • Set aside a regular daily time to read my Bible/pray and stick to it whenever possible
  • Hide God's Word in my heart (try to memorize one Bible verse or passage per week)
  • Listen to more sermons/edifying things, less facebook, tv, dvd's
  • Keep in mind the One I represent with regards to the music I listen to, clothes I wear, words I speak, and choices I make
  • Help people in practical ways when they are going through difficulties
2) I am a...Wife
Key Passage: Genesis 2:18
I want to...be my husband's helper, cheerleader, best friend, love of his life

To do this, I will try to....
  • Put his needs ahead of my own
  • Help him in whatever he asks, anticipate ways to help before being asked
  • Plan a special monthly date night (even if it's just at home after Little Bittles is in bed)
  • Try doing the Love Dare Challenge
  • Spend his hard-earned money wisely
  • Be joyful rather than nagging or grumbling, even when I have had a bad day
  • Speak well of him to others
  • Try to look my best for him by fixing my hair/makeup and wearing nice clothes as much as possible

3) I am a...Mother
Key Passage: Proverbs 22:6
I want to...teach my daughter about the Lord, train her to obey, train her to be cheerfully compliant, spend time simply enjoying her, be consistent in training, be a good example to her

To do this, I will try to....
  • Pray for wisdom in training
  • Pray for her salvation
  • Make training her a priority (set aside a daily time for "intentional training" besides the daily correcting/training/disciplining)
  • Speak often of the Lord and the things of the Lord
  • Spend time playing and laughing with her
  • Build a relationship with her
  • Pray with her
4) I am a...Keeper of the Home
Key Passage: Titus 2:3-5
I want to...provide healthy and delicious meals for my family, have a peaceful, relaxing, and enjoyable space to call home, be better organized with our space and time, be proficient in a variety of homemaking skills, find creative and inexpensive solutions to household problems, decorate our home to reflect Christ and our personal style

To do this, I will try to...
  • Meal plan healthy meals
  • Follow a regular cleaning schedule when possible
  • Try to have the house tidied before bed
  • Be at home to be a keeper of the home (might mean saying no to some activities that take me away from the home)
  • Stick to a budget, cut down expenses where possible
  • Complete one organizing project a week in this 52 weeks challenge
  • Create and follow a daily time schedule when possible
  • Be more efficient and productive with my time (less facebook, internet, tv)
  • Paint and refinish at least one piece of furniture we already own
  • Complete a few sewing projects
  • Decorate and paint our Master Bedroom
  • Show more hospitality toward others
  • Learn more about gardening, composting, landscaping, and preserving food
5) My body is the...Temple of the Holy Spirit
Key Passage: 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
I want to...glorify Christ in my body and spirit

To do this, I will try to...
  • Maintain a healthy body weight while not obsessing over it
  • Research healthier eating habits such as the benefits of coconut oil and soaking grains
  • Experiment with sour dough bread
  • Eat more whole grains and less refined sugar and chemicals
  • Use less chemicals in the home and using more natural cleaning products
  • Exercise 3 times a week once I get the doctor's okay
  • Dress and present myself in a way that reflects Christ

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...