Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Hamster Syndrome & Priorities

Around midnight last night I these thoughts just whirling around in my head. For the past couple days I have felt like I just haven't been able to keep up with everything I need (make that, think I need) to do. My to-do lists have not been done; the house is messier than usual; there are projects upon projects just waiting to get done; my stress level is going up as I feel overwhelmed with the many things I should/want to do. To sum it up, in general I have been feeling like I have a touch of the hamster syndrome. You know, running and running on that crazy wheel but never really accomplishing anything? Being "busy", but not getting anything done. I know, I know, I can just hear most of you saying, "Welcome to the real world!"

Then I got thinking...maybe my thinking is all wrong. Maybe I need a priority check. Make that, Definitely, I need a priority check.

The question I need to ask myself at the end of each day:

Not ...did I get everything on my to-do list done today?

But ...was I obedient to the Lord in every way today?
22For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:23But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you. Jeremiah 7:22-23
Priorities, priorities. Why is that so hard for me sometimes?

Here are some things we should all consider :-)

I'm pretty sure it's more important that I sit down and read my Bible and spend time with the Lord than to sit down and check my facebook to see what so-and-so is up to today.

I'm pretty sure it is more important that I read my baby stories about Jesus than read one of the many books I have on my to-read list.

I'm pretty sure it's more important that my husband comes home to a joyful and smiling wife and happy daughter rather than to a stressed out or grumpy wife and unhappy daughter who will pick up her mother's attitude throughout the day.

I'm pretty sure it's more important that I do tasks around the house with a spring in my step and joy in my heart than begrudgingly attempt to accomplish one more thing.

I'm pretty sure that the condition of my heart....not things...is more important.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

I'm pretty sure it's more important that my husband comes home to a joyful and smiling wife and happy daughter than to a contemptuous and bitter wife and unhappy daughter who is picking up her mother's bad attitude.

You summed it all up right there! As an older keeper of 5, some grown and out and some still here I can say with certainty that it is so much nicer when a husband comes home to a content and happy wife and children. Hang in there, God gives us the strenght to get accomplished what HE wants us to do in a day;-) When I see what hasn't happened I just figure if it was so important to God it would have gotten done.

Jenna said...

Thanks Suzanne for your encouragement! I actually slightly edited that part of my post that you commented on. After rereading my post, I didn't want to give the impression that I am a contemptuous and bitter wife, which I am not (at least, not usually! :-) BUT I definitely do need to guard my thoughts and heart to ensure I don't BECOME contemptuous or bitter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...