Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Homemade Vegetable Broth

I saw this idea somewhere on the internet and decided to give it a try. I thought this was a good way to use up scrap veggies that I usually would have just thrown out. For a week or so, I collected all my scrap veggie pieces (celery tops, onion pieces, carrot peels, etc.) in a container in the fridge. Then, once I had a bunch collected, I put them all in the crockpot, added some spices (a couple of bay leaves, dill, parsley, salt, pepper), covered it with water, and let it simmer away all day. Then I just strained it and let the broth cool and then put it in the fridge. It was so easy to make! I used it the next day to make Kommst Borscht. You can freeze the broth in ice cube trays. Then transfer the cubes to a freezer-safe bag. That way you have veggie broth available to use whenever you need it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...