Thursday, June 17, 2010

Journey to a Healthier Lifestyle (Part 1)

I want to blog a bit about the whole issue of proper nutrition, exercise, and having a healthy (or at least, a healthier) lifestyle. I have struggled with this for a few years now, and I am sure there are others out there who are struggling like I am to live a healthy lifestyle amidst the busyness of life. In this series, I'll explain my own struggle and how I have been able to get back on track.

Part 1 of this series is about keeping the right perspective on body image. Since the end of December 2009, I have lost 35 pounds and am back to the the same size I was when I got married (which I haven't been since I got married 4 years ago.) Before I get into the why's and how's of losing the weight, I want to help us have a right perspective on body image. Losing weight, exercising, and focusing on our outer appearance should NOT consume our lives. We should, however, try our best to take care of the earthly body that the Lord has given us.

Things to Consider Regarding a Proper Perspective on Body Image
  • God is Ultimately Concerned With Our Hearts, Not Our Size. But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart. 1 Samuel 16:7
  • Godliness is More Profitable Than Physical Exercise. For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come. 1 Timothy 4:8
With that in mind...Christians should also remember
  • Our Bodies Should Glorify God. What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
  • We Should Not be Gluttonous. Gluttony is eating or drinking in excess by not exercising self-control and indulging the flesh. For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.Proverbs 23:21
Those last 2 points were really important motivators in helping me lose weight. I had to get honest with the fact that the main reasons why I had gained 35 pounds since I got married (not including my pregnancy weight, which was an additional 35-40 pounds) were because

1) I had begun regularly overeating (lack of self-control) since I moved away from home
2) I had begun eating a lot of low-nutrition, high-calorie foods (not giving my body proper nutrition)
3) I had stopped exercising regularly

Those were really the bottom line reasons for me gaining weight. In Part 2 of this series, I'll expand on why I believe I gained the weight and my struggle to get back to a healthy lifestyle.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...