Friday, April 15, 2011

52 Weeks of Organizing - Week 15

Last week I was on staycation, so I didn't post an organizing project for the challenge. However, that doesn't mean I wasn't busy working on things. In fact, some major progress was made in our disaster-of-a-basement. This past week, I've been working on more of a behind-the-scenes organizing project. It isn't something that is really "noticeable", but it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time - compiling a "love box" for me and my husband's keepsakes. Our keepsakes are badly disorganized. The biggest problem with our keepsakes is that very meaningful keepsakes were mixed up with not-so-meaningful keepsakes. The idea was to go through all my cards, notes, and keepsakes and pull out the ones my husband and I gave to each other and put them in a special memory box. While I did this, I also threw out things that were no longer meaningful. I found these 2 memory boxes for $5 each (regularly priced at $20 each) to serve as our "love boxes," one for my husband and one for me. These boxes only hold items exchanged between me and my husband. The top section holds things from our courting and engagement days and the bottom section from our married days.

**Did you catch a glimpse of our renovations...notice the new baseboard on the left and the old on the right**

Now I know where to look when I'm looking for special keepsakes from my husband. Previously they were scatterered here, there, and everywhere in different boxes. My keepsakes were organized according to year. However, after looking up some ways to organize keepsakes, I think I've decided a better way is to organize according to people, as in all the keepsakes from my parents together in a bundle, all the keepsakes from my children together in a bundle, etc. Then all of those will be stored together in a plastic container. I like that method much better, I think.

One other thing...as I was on the hunt for keepsakes, I found wedding/shower cards with my Christmas decorations...how did that happen??? Now, I have all my wedding keepsakes together in one big plastic storage box. :-D.

Organizing... it's a process.

*linking up to 52 Weeks of Organizing Challenge*

2 comments:

Shonda said...

I love your last thought. Organizing is a process. I've been working for 4 months and I love the results. It did not happen overnight or I would get burned out.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Where did you find the memory boxes?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...