Thursday, April 14, 2011

Love Letters to "Chubs" & "Wiff"

I've been working on putting together me and my husband's "love boxes," a compilation of all the cards, notes, love letters, and special mementos we've given each other since we first started courting. As I skimmed over some of the letters I wrote to my husband before we were married, I smiled often and blushed often. Sometimes I could hardly believe the things this smitten 16-year-old girl was writing! I often poured out my feelings and threw caution to the wind. At times, I had showed a lack of discretion that makes me blush now. I read one letter to my husband that I had addressed to "chubs." I was scratching my head at that one until I found another letter. In that one I had written that I could hardly wait until the day I could call my now-hubby husband instead of "chubs" and I could be called his wife instead of "wiff". Then I remembered how one day we were being silly and came up with these pet names chubs & wiff to stand in the place of husband & wife until we got married. You can laugh - it's okay! These are letters I will truly cherish.

Going through these letter left me thinking...how often do I pour out my feelings to my husband now? While we were courting and engaged, I poured out my admiration for my now-husband often. I held nothing back. I was head-over-heels in love with this man, and I wanted him and all the world to know it. I wrote him poems, songs, and letters. I drew him silly pictures and sent him candy with messages written on them. While we were engaged, I wrote him a letter telling him how much I appreciated how he was working so hard to provide for us so we could get married. I praised him for his hard work ethic and determination. It got me thinking...when was the last time I poured out my admiration on my husband? Sure, I thank him for things all the time, but when was the last time I really showed him my admiration? Maybe it's time to get back to some of the youthfulness and playfulness of our courting days. Now when I want to show him my admiration, I can truly throw caution to the wind, without having to blush. Maybe it's time this 20-something-year-old took a few hints from the smitten 16-year-old I once was, and make sure my husband and the whole world knows just how much I love my man.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...