Friday, May 28, 2010

Kitchen Day

This past week I participated in a mom and baby fitness class with a couple other Christian Mom's, which was lots of fun! It was a good workout and also time to fellowship with some other Christian mom's. One mom, who used to be a phys ed. teacher led a cardio and strength training session and then we had a devotional and prayer time. Hopefully I'll be able to attend this class regularly. It's only an hour once a week, and I can walk there, too, which is an added bonus.

We're out of homemade bread, so I decided that today would be a good day to bake some. It is a rainy/cold/windy day here, and I always feel like spending time in the kitchen on those days. Due to a few changes around here, I'm thinking about switching my usual kitchen day (Thursday) to a different day, maybe Tuesday or Friday. Also, tomatoes were on a good sale this week at .96/lb, so I decided it would be a good time to try out a recipe for homemade pizza/pasta sauce. I am going to "can" them, which I'm kind of nervous about since I've never really canned anything before. I got a bunch of free jars and lids, so I figure I should try to make good use out of them. To get started with canning, I'm breaking myself in slowly. This recipe does not require processing them in a water bath. The hot tomato sauce put into hot jars seals itself, apparently :-). I don't have any typical canning supplies, so this is a good recipe to start with. My mother-in-law has used this recipe before, and I really like the way hers turns out. I hope to get a few of the basic canning supplies in the near future. I have bags and bags of berries in the freezer and am hoping to eventually try making some jam with them.

Anyway, I'm off to go finish my bread and finish prepping my pizza/pasta sauce. If it turns out okay, maybe I'll post some pictures and the recipe.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...