Monday, May 10, 2010

What I'm Reading

I really do enjoy reading but have a hard time making time for it. Mostly I read non-fiction, but I do read the occasional fiction book once in awhile - usually a classic or a Christian book. I have, however, found it difficult to find good Christian fiction books. I personally do not care for and do not read most Christian romance novels because I have found most of them to be quite sensual in nature. Unfortunately, they are often so sensationalized and unrealistic that they remind me of nothing more than a "cleaner" soap opera. In the past, I have found that reading Christian romance novels sowed seeds of discontentment and ungratefulness in my heart as my life often seemed so dull and boring compared to the dramatic and exciting lives of the heroines. Thus, I tend to avoid reading them. That is not to say that there are not some decent ones out there, but my personal experience has been that finding a good, edifying, Christian romance novel has been difficult.

I had been reading the first book in the Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers, but after reading almost half the first book, I had to stop reading it because something about it just didn't sit well with me. I personally found it to be too sensual and unnecessarily descriptive. I think I would enjoy Christian historical fiction as I enjoy learning about history, but like so many Christian romance novels, I have found that many of them are just too sensual for me.

So, what am I reading now? Currently, I am reading a non-fiction book by Warren Smith called A "Wonderful" Deception. Smith, who was formerly into the new-age but is now a born again Christian, has written several books exposing the new age teachings going on in many popular so-called Christian circles these days. I have read a few of his other books and they are well-researched and biblically sound. I am also on the library waiting list for the Duggar's book called The Duggars: 20 and Counting! I have heard that it is an excellent book and can't wait to read it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jenna ~
You've touched upon one of my favorite subjects: reading. The sensuality thing is a problem. I won't even consider most of today's fiction, sad to say. Christian biographies are a wonderful source of encouragement: George Mueller's autobiography is wonderful, as well as John Bunyan's "Grace Abounding". A good source for old/out-of-print/reprinted fiction is "Keeper's of the Faith" (just google that name for their website). Jackpot!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...