Monday, May 3, 2010

Menu Plan Monday (May 3)


I usually plan my menu on Fridays. This is because our flyers come out on Thursdays. I like to look through the flyers and then use them to plan my menus partially based on what is on sale for the week. The new week of sales usually starts on Saturday for most grocery stores, so planning my menu on Friday means that I can choose to do my grocery shopping that day (Friday, last day of sales for that week) based on last week's flyer, or I can wait a few days to shop and take advantage of the upcoming week's sales and plan my menu accordingly. Did that make any sense? LOL.

Anyway, what I really wanted to say is that grocery shopping this week was SO frustrating! First of all, in the afternoon I had a little "accident" at home and fell flat on my face!! I had been taking a Sunday nap after church, and I got up to answer the phone (I don't remember getting out of bed at all). The next thing I knew..BAM! I was flat on my face crying for my husband to come to my rescue. I do believe I tripped on nothing. Yes, that's right - nothing! (Well, maybe the carpet, does that count?) In the end, I came away with a half broken toenail, a majorly swollen and bleeding lip, a rug burn under my nose, a very sore shoulder and neck, and a whopper of a headache. Thus, as you can imagine, I did not really feel like going grocery shopping after that, but I did.

I had planned my menu on Friday based on what was coming on sale this next week. Asparagus and green peppers were 2 of the main ingredients for a couple of my upcoming planned meals because they were on a great sale. Well, I got to the store, and lo and behold, they were out of the asparagus AND green peppers! Grrr....so, not wanting to have to re-plan all my meals, I purchased the rest of the things on my list that they had in stock, opted to buy a mix of yellow, red, and green pepper instead of the planned pack of 4 green peppers that was on sale, and then headed to a more expensive grocery chain to get my asparagus. I suppose this is when menu planning might become a little frustrating. LOL. Anyway, I'm happy to report that after 2 stops at 2 different stores, I came home with all my ingredients for the next 2 weeks of meals.

This week's menu plan features 3 new recipes! I have been anxious to try several new recipes, so I thought I'd have a week of mostly new things to try. How exciting!! (At least, I'm excited!)

Sunday, May 2 (husband made food as I recovered from my injury!)
Lunch: hot dogs, mac n' cheese (Note to self: Avoid mustard next time I have a rug burn on my face. Can you say...feel the burn?)
Supper: Beef Borscht for me (from freezer) and Beef Barley Soup for my husband (from freezer)

Monday, May 3
Lunch: Tuna sandwich on whole wheat, pickled beets
Supper: Primavera Pesto Pasta (NEW), Caesar salad

Tuesday, May 4
Lunch: Leftover pasta
Supper: Smoothie, Mushroom and Cheese Omelet

Wednesday, May 5
Lunch: Homemade Pizza Pocket, veggies and dip
Supper: Tortellini Soup (NEW), Parmesan crescent rolls

Thursday, May 6
Lunch: Leftover soup and roll
Supper: Undone Stuffed Pepper Casserole (NEW), tossed salad

Friday, May 7
Lunch: Fish sticks (from freezer) and homemade potato wedges, veggies and dip
Supper: Leftover casserole

Saturday, May 8
Leftovers

*For more great meal ideas, visit Menu Plan Monday, hosted by orgjunkie.com*

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...